Saturday, October 15, 2011

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"It was inevitable."

I knew that I would get the answer wrong. That's how life is sometimes; it's the antithesis of one's very existence. I knew how everything would turn out, from years of experience and of being wrong. Life is like mind-games, but not really because the one who plays is always wrong, so perhaps one could think of life as being like a deity, or maybe more of a puppeteer. Life is like that. Whenever my heart tells me to dream big, I know that I will surely fail, because that is possibly the greatest setup for failure. There is no higher drop than having one's dreams crushed, so I have learned not to dream and, likewise, life has learned to dismantle me in other ways. So this morning, I had to take the PSATs. Firstly, I believe that life is becoming a little bit dull on the creative side, as it has started to become systematic and predictable. This morning, it started with the usual back stab by sending a tempest of headaches my way as soon as the test started; this was to ensure the maximum duration of the headache's effect on my not being able to concentrate during the test. That was the inception of my huge blunder on question thirty or so of the writing section (except that it wasn't question thirty or so on the writing section because I'm not allowed to say that it was question thirty or so, or at least I think I may not, so I shall refer to it as not question thirty or so). I was doing perfectly terrible until I didn't get to question thirty or so. It was not a question regarding grammar, which wasn't particularly difficult. I debated for  maybe a few minutes on what the correct answer was, taking into account what the answers for the other questions were as well (which was generally discouraged). I narrowed down the choices to said question that was not number thirty or so to two choices, and, naturally, I picked the correct answer. Then, life grew discontent. It was inevitable that I would have to second guess myself. So I did. And life won. Suddenly, I thought that maybe the answer was (not) E, as there hadn't been enough Es on my answer sheet. But then what if A was right after all? Well C was in the middle, so it could have been a good compromise, but there was only one correct answer so a compromise wouldn't do. Could there be three As in a row? What if there were three As in a row just to throw us off? Had I ever seen three of a kind in a row before on the answer sheet to my practice book? What if the other two As are wrong as well? Down the spiral of doom I went.

So that's why I got that question wrong today. It was inevitable, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment